Laproscopy for Infertility Treatments
If you have been trying to have a baby for quite some time and have been unsuccessful, then it is possible that you may have fertility issues. There are many treatment options available to treat infertility. Laparoscopy is one such method used to improve your chances of getting pregnant. Laparoscopy is a minimally invasive type of surgery which may be used to diagnose or treat a fertility problem. Laparoscopy enables the doctor to see inside the abdomen and repair it if necessary without the need of making larger incisions which may require longer recovery time. Laparoscopy allows the fertility doctor to diagnose any type of abnormality that may interfere with a woman’s ability to become pregnant. Laparoscopy is also called as “Keyhole Surgery”.
When is it recommended?
Laparoscopy may be suggested by your doctor to diagnose the cause of infertility. It is generally recommended only after trying other options for the test of infertility. Your doctor may also suggest laparoscopy when your symptoms warrant the need for testing. Some of the reasons why laparoscopy may be used for diagnosis of infertility are:
- If the doctor suspects Ectopic Pregnancy.
- If Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) or pelvic adhesions are suspected.
- If the doctor diagnoses severe or moderate endometriosis.
- If you experience pain and discomfort during sexual intercourse.
- If you experience menstrual cramps with severe pain.
In some cases, the doctor may treat the problem during the laparoscopic procedure done to diagnose the issue. Some of the issues of infertility for which the doctor may suggest laparoscopic surgery are:
- If you have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), the doctor recommends ovarian drilling which is done using laparoscopic surgery.
- If you have fibroids which may cause intense pain or block the fallopian tubes.
- If an ovarian cyst is suspected to the cause of pain or blockage of the fallopian tubes.
- The doctor may suggest laparoscopic surgery if the fallopian tubes are blocked.
- If your doctor suspects Hydrosalpinx.
The Procedure of Laparoscopy:
The doctor will explain the procedure of laparoscopy in detail if it is recommended to you. You will probably be told not to eat or drink for about 8-10 hours before the surgery. The procedure of laparoscopy will be performed under general anesthesia. Before the procedure starts, an IV (Intravenous) is inserted through which medication will be administered.
Once the effect of anesthesia kicks in, the doctor begins the procedure by making small incisions in the abdominal region. After the incisions are made, Carbon dioxide gas is filled into the abdomen using a needle for insertion of surgical instruments and to see the organs clearly. As soon as the abdomen is filled with CO2, the laparoscope is inserted in order to see inside your pelvic organs. The doctor will visually evaluate the pelvic organs and the surrounding abdominal organs to find out where the problem lies. The presence of cysts, fibroids, scar tissue or adhesions, endometrial growths is looked for. A dye may be injected to detect any kind of blockage in the fallopian tubes and to detect an ectopic pregnancy. If no sign of the problem is found, a sample of the tissue may be removed by the doctor for testing.
Benefits of using Laparoscopy for Infertility Treatment:
- Certain infertility defects can be identified only by laparoscopy.
- It gives the doctors a detailed and comprehensive look inside your abdomen enabling the easy identification of issues.
- Eliminates pelvic pain and discomfort.
- Effectively treats certain causes of infertility.
- Less invasive method
- Smaller incisions (Less pain, Bloodloss)
- Shorter recovery time
IVF Genesis is a clinic of excellence for the treatment of several infertility problems. IVF Genesis specializes in IVF Treatments making it one of the best IVF clinic in Tamilnadu. IVF Genesis is one of the best infertility hospitals in Tamilnadu. It houses the best infrastructure and equipment to provide the best infertility treatment.